GENO SMITH OFFICIALLY OUT! SEE THE RAIDERS' SHOCK WEEK 18 STARTER NOW
The Geno Smith era in Vegas hits a breaking point. With Smith ruled out for Week 18, the Raiders turn to Pickett and O’Connell.
The clock’s ticking on the Raiders’ 2025 season, and honestly, this offseason could get weird.
Geno Smith, though? He’s probably dreading it. The guy’s had a brutal year—nobody’s thrown more picks or taken more sacks than him. Just rough.
Then came Week 17 against the Giants. Smith went down early with an ankle sprain, and that pretty much summed up his season. Everyone wondered if he’d suit up for the last game against the Chiefs. Now we know—he’s out. The Raiders made it official on Friday. No shock there; Pete Carroll had already hinted this was coming. Still, Carroll kept it close to the vest about who’s starting instead—Kenny Pickett or Aidan O’Connell.
Pickett started earlier in the year when Smith was hurt, but that game was ugly. O’Connell? He hasn’t even touched the field this season. Seems fair to finally give him a shot. Carroll says both guys should see the field against Kansas City.
So, is this it for Smith in Vegas? Feels like it. Vincent Bonsignore from the Review-Journal basically said if Smith misses this last game, he’s done as a Raider. Remember, Smith came over from Seattle, looking to keep his starting gig alive after his run with Carroll from 2020 to 2023.
Cutting Smith costs the Raiders $18.5 million in dead money, so there’s a slim chance they just keep him around another year. But let’s be real—fans turned on him after he flipped them off postgame, and his play hasn’t helped. At this point, it’s probably best for everyone to move on.
And what about the Raiders’ quarterback room? They really believed in Smith, which is why they waited until the sixth round to draft Cam Miller. The twist: Miller spent the season on the practice squad, but right before the last game, Miami swooped in and grabbed him. He’d probably have stuck around through the offseason, but that’s out the window now. The team’s not thrilled about it.
“Yeah, it’s disappointing to lose him because we put a lot of time in, and he’s put a lot of time in here as well,” quarterbacks coach Greg Olson said Thursday. “I talked to him before he got on the plane. He’s a hard worker, we valued him, and it stings to lose a guy like that late in the season. But good luck to him. We’re happy for him.”
KENDRICK BOURNE REVEALS THE STRICT DISCIPLINE THAT SPARKED THE PATRIOTS' TURNAROUND
Kendrick Bourne speaks out! Discover why he thinks Mike Vrabel is the right fit and why he’s eyeing a 2026 return to the 49ers.
Kendrick Bourne’s path through the NFL has zigzagged all over – some highs, plenty of lows, and now, another fresh start. He took a shot with the Patriots in 2025 after building his reputation with the 49ers. But honestly, that New England chapter ended before it even got going. Bourne didn’t just slip out the back door. He left with a lot to say about what he saw brewing in New England as Mike Vrabel took charge.
Once Vrabel arrived, you didn’t need to listen for rumours about a culture shift; it was obvious. Bourne noticed right away. He’s already got his eyes set on home, back with the 49ers, but even from a distance, he could see the Patriots were heading somewhere new long before their record showed it.
Talking about his exit from New England, Bourne didn’t sugarcoat anything. Losing the job itself wasn’t the hardest part. What stung was watching Vrabel put his stamp on the team, laying down the kind of structure and discipline Bourne knew would eventually pay off. He was blunt; things just felt different under Vrabel compared to before.
He put it like this: “After going through OTAs and camp with Vrabes, you just knew. Nothing against Mayo, but he just wasn’t ready. With Vrabes, the structure was totally different in how we studied, how we met, and just the whole vibe. Honestly, I was sad about it.”
This wasn’t just a guy being bitter. Bourne respected what was happening in New England and genuinely wished he could have been part of it, especially with a Super Bowl push on the horizon. He even admitted he’d wanted to be in that locker room when the Patriots finally made it back to the big stage.
Now he’s back with the 49ers, hoping to stick around. At 30, Bourne wants a new contract in San Francisco. He had a solid 2025, racked up 551 yards, picked up a contract bonus, and gave the offence a spark. The 49ers needed reliable hands, and Bourne delivered. He’s clear: he wants to stay, but only if the deal makes sense for him.
So now, the offseason gets interesting. Bourne knows where he fits best, but he’s still keeping an eye on what’s building in New England. That mix of looking back and chasing what’s next makes this part of his career one to pay attention to.
MRI SCARE: STEVE KERR ADMITS STEPH CURRY’S "NEBULOUS" KNEE MAY REQUIRE SECOND IMAGING
Warriors crisis! Discover why Steph Curry may need another MRI and how Jimmy Butler’s ACL tear shifts GSW to the play-in.
The Warriors have been scrambling since Jimmy Butler went down with that ACL tear. He’s done for the year, and now Stephen Curry has to carry the offence on his own.
Right after the All-Star break, the Warriors are sitting in eighth place out West. That’s already shaky, and now Curry’s dealing with a knee injury too. The team calls it runner's knee; basically, he just needs time to heal. But then Steve Kerr gave an update that didn’t exactly inspire confidence.
Turns out, Curry might need another MRI. He tried to push through a full workout, but his knee just wasn’t right. Now, they’re waiting on imaging to figure out how long he’ll actually be out.
Meanwhile, Kristaps Porzingis still hasn’t suited up for Golden State. If Curry misses significant time, everyone else needs to step up in a big way. The Warriors already have one of the most average offences in the league, 15th at the break. No curry, and things get ugly fast. He’s already missed 16 games this season, and the team went 6-10 without him.
Losing Butler already knocked the Warriors out of serious contention. They’re pretty much locked into the play-in. Unless Curry suddenly goes supernova, it’s hard to see them catching the Thunder or making any real noise out West.
So, what’s next? The front office tried to swing big at the deadline, going after Giannis Antetokounmpo, though who knows if the Bucks ever really considered it. Giannis stayed put, but you can bet the Warriors will chase him again this summer.
If that doesn’t work, they’ll turn to other stars. They know the championship window is closing with Curry still on the roster. He’s still elite, but time’s ticking.
LeBron James even comes up as a possibility. If he declines his player option and hits free agency, maybe he’d team up with Curry for one last run at a ring.
Most likely, though, Golden State will look at trades instead of free agents to try to reload. Curry’s health isn’t what it used to be, and the Warriors know they have to make the most of whatever prime he’s got left.