HOW ALESSANDRO BASTONI’S "ENTHUSIASTIC" DIVE TIPPED THE DERBY D’ITALIA
Injustice at San Siro? Read the full breakdown of Alessandro Bastoni’s dive, Pierre Kalulu’s red card, and the Rocchi apology.
Inter defender Alessandro Bastoni is in hot water after he drew a second yellow card for Juventus rival Pierre Kalulu, leading to a controversial red card in a wild Serie A match at San Siro. Juventus finished with ten men and lost 3-2. The head of officiating in Italy even apologised to Juve afterwards, but honestly, apologies don’t give back the points they lost. When the final whistle blew, you could see the frustration all over Juve’s faces.
Kalulu, a French international who’s been linked to Premier League clubs, saw red in the 42nd minute. The referee said he yanked Bastoni’s shirt, but replays showed there was no contact. Bastoni hit the turf anyway, selling the foul, and the ref bought it. VAR couldn’t do anything about it, since it can’t review yellow cards, so the call stood. To make things worse, Inter grabbed a winner in the 90th minute.
Juve’s coach Luciano Spalletti and football director Giorgio Chiellini marched straight to referee Federico La Penna at halftime, furious. After the match, Chiellini told reporters, “What happened is unacceptable. We’re here, not Spalletti, for a reason.”
Damien Comolli, Juve’s chief executive, didn’t hold back either. “It was a total injustice. Juve lost three points, but Italian football lost even more. To our fans, I’m sorry for what they saw. We can’t fight, win, or even play under these circumstances. To Juve, I say we’re united against this, and we’re not giving up.”
The fallout didn’t end there. Serie A’s referee boss, Gianluca Rocchi, admitted the decision was wrong and said he wished VAR could have helped. He also called out players who try to “cheat” the officials. “We’re really disappointed not just with La Penna’s mistake, which was obvious, but also because VAR couldn’t fix it,” Rocchi told Ansa. “La Penna feels terrible, and we feel for him. But he’s not the only one at fault. There was a clear dive, just the latest in a league where players try everything to trick us.”
Rocchi said Serie A referees own up to their mistakes, but he’s frustrated by coaches who pile on rather than support the officials. “They’ve never helped us, just made our job harder,” he said. Then, pointing fingers at players who bend the rules, he added, “Some people need to take a good look at themselves. I’m talking about those who step on the pitch and act like this.”
NAPLES OR MANCHESTER? SCOTT MCTOMINAY’S AGENT HOLDS CRITICAL CONTRACT TALKS WITH NAPOLI
Scott McTominay's agent is in Naples! Discover the details of the 2030 contract offer and why Manchester United want him back now.
Scott McTominay’s team has sat down with Napoli’s sporting director, Giovanni Manna, to talk about a possible contract extension at Stadio Diego Armando Maradona. After 22 years at Manchester United, McTominay, now 29, made a £25.7 million move to Naples in August 2024.
He wasted no time making an impact. In his first season with Napoli, he played a key role as they clinched their second Serie A title in three years. He didn’t just help them win; he was named the league’s MVP. McTominay racked up 12 goals and six assists during that title run.
He’s kept up that form this season, too. So far, he’s scored 10 goals and picked up four assists across Serie A and the Champions League. Lately, though, he’s missed the last two matches, including Sunday’s 2-2 draw with Roma, after picking up an injury in the win over Genoa on February 7.
Even with him sidelined, there’s plenty of talk about his future in Naples. Corriere dello Sport says Napoli is already working on a new, improved contract for McTominay, who’s signed until 2028, after his standout first 18 months in Italy.
Antonio Conte’s side wants to keep him at the club until at least 2030. Reports say McTominay’s agent has flown to Naples for talks, and negotiations with Manna about the new deal are already underway.
So far, they haven’t hammered out the details on salary. But after proving himself as one of Serie A’s best, McTominay is set for a pay bump.
All this talk about a new deal comes just days after rumours surfaced about Manchester United being in the mix for McTominay’s return. Tuttomercatoweb reported on Friday that he’s considering heading back to the Premier League in 2026, with United leading the chase.
Supposedly, he and his girlfriend Cam Reading are thinking about a move home, and it sounds like a Premier League return could happen sooner rather than later.
Napoli’s global business development officer, Leonardo Giammarioli, spoke about the transfer buzz last week. He told talkSPORT the club is trying to fend off interest from other teams.
“Yeah, of course I’m worried,” he said. “But honestly, especially with Scott, he’s a great guy, we’d be happy if he reaches the next level in a couple of years. Maybe not now, maybe not next year, but he deserves it.
“Look at Stuttgart, they wanted to keep Nick Woltemade, but when Newcastle offered £65 million, there’s not much you can do. If the player wants to go and the money’s right, it’s tough for Italian clubs. The league keeps losing revenue.”
SAN SIRO CALLING: WHY WALTER ZENGA WANTS GUGLIELMO VICARIO TO LEAD INTER MILAN
Inter Milan eye Guglielmo Vicario! Discover the latest on the Italian's potential Serie A return and Sommer's contract situation.
Vicario Linked With Inter Move as Tottenham Spotlight Intensifies
Lately, talk around Vicario’s future at Tottenham just won't quiet down, especially now that a legend in Italian football has weighed in. Inter Milan is looking at their goalkeeping options for the summer, and Vicario’s name keeps popping up.
Walter Zenga, a San Siro icon, thinks the Tottenham keeper should top Inter’s list if they decide to move on from Yann Sommer. Zenga’s comments come as people keep questioning whether Inter’s veteran No. 1 is still the answer, even with all his experience.
Zenga’s Take Turns Up the Heat
Zenga walked a fine line; he backed Sommer’s track record but made it clear that big clubs always need to think ahead.
He told Gazzetta dello Sport, “Honestly, if you focus on a keeper’s mistakes, you’ll never get past them. Yann’s a guarantee. He’s got loads of quality and experience.” When asked what sets Sommer apart, Zenga didn’t hesitate: “Self-control. Nothing shakes him.”
That respect for Sommer is obvious, but with his contract winding down, Inter can’t avoid the question of who comes next.
The Italian Shortlist
Pressed on replacements, Zenga went straight for Italian names.
“If you want an Italian keeper, Vicario and Marco Carnesecchi are up front, then Elia Caprile.”
So, Vicario’s right in the mix for Inter, along with Atalanta’s Carnesecchi and Cagliari’s Caprile. These three are all part of a new wave of Italian goalkeepers making their mark through steady performances at home.
Vicario’s Time at Tottenham
Vicario joined Tottenham for £17.2 million, stepping into the shoes of longtime captain Hugo Lloris. Early on, he stood out for his quick reflexes, loud instructions, and real command in the box.
This season’s been tougher, though. People have pointed out shaky distribution under pressure and a struggle with the physical side of the Premier League. Plus, an ankle fracture kept him out for three months and broke his rhythm.
Even with those bumps, Spurs still see Vicario as a key part of their squad as they move forward. His shot-stopping numbers look good, and he’s comfortable playing out from the back, just what Tottenham wants in their style.