StadiumPosts Logo
Stay upto date with notifications from Stadiumposts
Notifications can be managed in browser preferences

PLANS DASHED: FABIO CARVALHO INJURY CONFIRMS NO JANUARY TRANSFER WILL HAPPEN

Brentford winger Fabio Carvalho is out for the season after suffering an ACL injury, requiring knee surgery. The £27.5m signing scored his only league goal this term against Chelsea.

Plans Dashed: Fabio Carvalho Injury Confirms No January Transfer Will Happen
Carvalho Injury Complicates January Transfer Decision Now

Brentford has announced that winger Fabio Carvalho will be out for the rest of the season due to an injury. 

Carvalho is set to undergo knee surgery, as the Bees disclosed on Saturday ahead of their return to Premier League action after the November international break against Brighton.

After consulting a specialist, the ex-Liverpool player, who suffered an anterior cruciate ligament injury, began his rehabilitation with Brentford.

The club issued a statement saying, "We will support you every step of the way, Fabio."

Carvalho, who had only made one Premier League start for Brentford under new head coach Keith Andrews, was already facing a challenging season.

The former England and Portugal youth international has made only a handful of brief appearances off the bench. In September, he netted his first and only goal of the current top-flight season with a last-minute equaliser in the 2-2 draw at home against Chelsea, their rivals from west London.

Carvalho had better performances in the Carabao Cup, where he started three consecutive matches for Brentford and scored goals against both fourth-tier Grimsby and the high-flying Bournemouth, helping them progress to the quarterfinals, where they will face Manchester City next month.

Since moving from Anfield to the Gtech Community Stadium for £27.5 million, including add-ons, he has made a total of 33 appearances. This season, he has played in nine matches across all competitions.

Under previous Brentford manager Thomas Frank, Carvalho scored three goals and provided three assists in 24 games last season. However, a persistent shoulder injury that ultimately required surgery cut his season short in February.

After leaving Fulham in 2022, Carvalho made only 21 appearances for Liverpool. He also spent time on loan at Hull in the Championship and RB Leipzig in the Bundesliga.

Before his eventual transfer to Brentford, Southampton attempted to sign the 23-year-old. In the summer, he rejected a potential transfer to Lyon, a French club, despite interest from Stuttgart and Strasbourg.

Last month, Standard Sport reported that Carvalho had become frustrated with Brentford's inconsistent first-team opportunities and was considering a temporary or permanent move during the January transfer window. However, those plans will now need to wait as he focuses on recovering from his latest injury setback.

DANIEL STURRIDGE: VAR BROKE 'GOLDEN RULE' ON CAICEDO'S RED CARD

Daniel Sturridge claims VAR broke protocol by using slow-motion for Caicedo's red card.

top-news
Sturridge Slams Use of Slow-Motion Replays

Daniel Sturridge thinks a key VAR rule might have been broken when Moises Caicedo of Chelsea got a red card against Arsenal on Sunday. Caicedo was sent off for a late challenge on Mikel Merino. The ref, Anthony Taylor, first gave a yellow card, but VAR stepped in.

Sturridge, who used to play for Chelsea and Liverpool, kind of criticised how the technology was used, even though he agreed with the final call.

He told Sky Sports, When you watch it in slow motion, it looks bad. The ref first decided on a yellow card. Then they used VAR to look at it again. Watching it slowed down, it looks like a red card. But at full speed, it doesn't seem so bad. Slowing it down makes the ref think it's a red. When you watch the replay in slow motion, it decides for them.

Alan Smith, who was commentating with Sky Sports, said earlier, They're taking a good long look. He came in fast and hard. This could be a turning point in the game. They need to show it at full speed.

He missed the ball, but he came in hard, and they usually worry about a straight leg. He'll be lucky to stay on the field.

The Premier League shared their opinion soon after Caicedo was kicked out. Taylor also explained why he changed the card.

The Premier League Match Centre posted on X: #CHEARS – 34' VAR OVERTURN. After VAR review, the referee overturned the original decision of a yellow card to Caicedo and issued a red card for serious foul play.

Referee announcement: After review, Chelsea 25 makes a challenge with excessive force and endangers the safety of the opponent; therefore, my final decision is a red card.

Even with only ten players, Chelsea scored first. Trevoh Chalobah headed in a corner from Reece James.

But Mikel Merino quickly tied the score, heading in a cross from Bukayo Saka.

After Caicedo's red card, Chelsea seemed to focus on defending. Piero Hincapie was probably lucky not to get a red card himself after hitting Chalobah with an elbow.

Later, Hincapie fouled Joao Pedro, leading to more appeals, but Taylor didn't give another red card.

However, there were many yellow cards. Myles Lewis Skelly got a booking soon after replacing Riccardo Calafiori, who had already received a yellow card.

LUCAS PAQUETA BLASTS FA: STRESS FROM INVESTIGATION CAUSED RED CARD

West Ham's Lucas Paqueta publicly criticises the FA, claiming his red card vs. Liverpool was due to stress from their long investigation and lack of mental support.

top-news
Paqueta Links FA Investigation Trauma to Red Card

West Ham's Lucas Paqueta is not happy with the FA after getting sent off recently. He feels his actions on the field were a result of the stress from the FA's long investigation into his behaviour.

The Brazilian midfielder was kicked out of the game during West Ham's 2-0 loss to Liverpool after getting two quick yellow cards for arguing.

After facing criticism, Paqueta went to social media to connect his actions to the lack of support he got during his almost two-year legal issue.

Paqueta reacted to a post online with a strong statement on X, where he blamed the FA for not providing mental health support after the betting investigation.

He posted:

It's not right that my life and career have been affected for two years without any help from the federation. Maybe my behaviour is just a result of what I've been going through and what it seems I'll keep going through! I'm sorry if I'm not perfect.

Paqueta had already said sorry to West Ham fans and teammates, admitting his actions didn't justify the dismissal. He also emphasised the huge impact the situation has had on his mental health.

Paqueta's reaction comes from the FA's investigation into alleged betting rule violations, which started in August 2023.

The situation put his career on hold, leading to a failed £70 million transfer to Manchester City.

Though the Regulatory Commission didn't find the spot-fixing charges proven earlier in the year, the midfielder was penalised for not giving all the needed info for the investigation.

This, while clearing him of the main accusations, hasn't reduced the stress from the drawn-out process.

The Liverpool game was another setback for Paqueta, who had just returned from a one-match suspension after getting five yellow cards.

Because of the red card, he'll now miss the game against Manchester United, which is another tough one for West Ham.

Premier League Standings

WhatsApp Read More News