GARY NEVILLE SKIPS CHELSEA VS ARSENAL COMMENTARY FOR QATAR F1 GRAND PRIX
Gary Neville confirmed he will miss the crucial Chelsea vs Arsenal derby to attend the Qatar Grand Prix. He prioritised F1 access, calling the experience "incredible."
Gary Neville says he won't be commentating on the Chelsea vs. Arsenal game for Sky Sports because he's going to the Qatar Grand Prix.
Neville, usually with Peter Drury in the commentary box for the big games, has decided to spend his weekend in Qatar instead.
It's not known who will be with Drury for the Chelsea vs. Arsenal match. Sky Sports has announced that Theo Walcott and Daniel Sturridge will be in the studio to give their thoughts, and Dave Jones will be the host.
This game is very important, but some might agree with Neville's choice, as Lando Norris might take the Drivers' Championship.
Neville said he's excited to see what could be a big win and get a look behind the scenes.
He told Sky Sports on Saturday, I was supposed to come to Belgium a few months back, but it didn't happen. I said I wanted to come.
I'm missing Chelsea vs. Arsenal, but I think it's worth it. It's amazing to see inside the Mercedes garage. What a chance!
I'm going to watch the race, and I can either hang out in the Sky area or with the fancy food crowd.
The Chelsea vs. Arsenal game starts at 4:30 p.m., just a half-hour after the Qatar Grand Prix begins. The title won't be won there, but the game's result matters a lot.
If Arsenal wins, they'll be nine points ahead of Chelsea. If Chelsea wins, they'll be only three points behind.
DANIEL STURRIDGE: VAR BROKE 'GOLDEN RULE' ON CAICEDO'S RED CARD
Daniel Sturridge claims VAR broke protocol by using slow-motion for Caicedo's red card.
Daniel Sturridge thinks a key VAR rule might have been broken when Moises Caicedo of Chelsea got a red card against Arsenal on Sunday. Caicedo was sent off for a late challenge on Mikel Merino. The ref, Anthony Taylor, first gave a yellow card, but VAR stepped in.
Sturridge, who used to play for Chelsea and Liverpool, kind of criticised how the technology was used, even though he agreed with the final call.
He told Sky Sports, When you watch it in slow motion, it looks bad. The ref first decided on a yellow card. Then they used VAR to look at it again. Watching it slowed down, it looks like a red card. But at full speed, it doesn't seem so bad. Slowing it down makes the ref think it's a red. When you watch the replay in slow motion, it decides for them.
Alan Smith, who was commentating with Sky Sports, said earlier, They're taking a good long look. He came in fast and hard. This could be a turning point in the game. They need to show it at full speed.
He missed the ball, but he came in hard, and they usually worry about a straight leg. He'll be lucky to stay on the field.
The Premier League shared their opinion soon after Caicedo was kicked out. Taylor also explained why he changed the card.
The Premier League Match Centre posted on X: #CHEARS – 34' VAR OVERTURN. After VAR review, the referee overturned the original decision of a yellow card to Caicedo and issued a red card for serious foul play.
Referee announcement: After review, Chelsea 25 makes a challenge with excessive force and endangers the safety of the opponent; therefore, my final decision is a red card.
Even with only ten players, Chelsea scored first. Trevoh Chalobah headed in a corner from Reece James.
But Mikel Merino quickly tied the score, heading in a cross from Bukayo Saka.
After Caicedo's red card, Chelsea seemed to focus on defending. Piero Hincapie was probably lucky not to get a red card himself after hitting Chalobah with an elbow.
Later, Hincapie fouled Joao Pedro, leading to more appeals, but Taylor didn't give another red card.
However, there were many yellow cards. Myles Lewis Skelly got a booking soon after replacing Riccardo Calafiori, who had already received a yellow card.
LUCAS PAQUETA BLASTS FA: STRESS FROM INVESTIGATION CAUSED RED CARD
West Ham's Lucas Paqueta publicly criticises the FA, claiming his red card vs. Liverpool was due to stress from their long investigation and lack of mental support.
West Ham's Lucas Paqueta is not happy with the FA after getting sent off recently. He feels his actions on the field were a result of the stress from the FA's long investigation into his behaviour.
The Brazilian midfielder was kicked out of the game during West Ham's 2-0 loss to Liverpool after getting two quick yellow cards for arguing.
After facing criticism, Paqueta went to social media to connect his actions to the lack of support he got during his almost two-year legal issue.
Paqueta reacted to a post online with a strong statement on X, where he blamed the FA for not providing mental health support after the betting investigation.
He posted:
It's not right that my life and career have been affected for two years without any help from the federation. Maybe my behaviour is just a result of what I've been going through and what it seems I'll keep going through! I'm sorry if I'm not perfect.
Paqueta had already said sorry to West Ham fans and teammates, admitting his actions didn't justify the dismissal. He also emphasised the huge impact the situation has had on his mental health.
Paqueta's reaction comes from the FA's investigation into alleged betting rule violations, which started in August 2023.
The situation put his career on hold, leading to a failed £70 million transfer to Manchester City.
Though the Regulatory Commission didn't find the spot-fixing charges proven earlier in the year, the midfielder was penalised for not giving all the needed info for the investigation.
This, while clearing him of the main accusations, hasn't reduced the stress from the drawn-out process.
The Liverpool game was another setback for Paqueta, who had just returned from a one-match suspension after getting five yellow cards.
Because of the red card, he'll now miss the game against Manchester United, which is another tough one for West Ham.