StadiumPosts Logo
Stay upto date with notifications from Stadiumposts
Notifications can be managed in browser preferences

IS MARC GUEHI OVERRATED? OLIVER GLASNER’S HONEST ADMISSION ABOUT PALACE’S FAILING SET-PIECE DEFENSE

Liverpool has Europe’s worst set-piece record. We analyse whether Marc Guehi is the solution or if Glasner will keep him at Palace.

Is Marc Guehi Overrated? Oliver Glasner’s Honest Admission About Palace’s Failing Set-Piece Defense
Signing Guehi Won’t Fix Liverpool’s Embarrassing Set-Piece Defending Crisis

It’s not just Liverpool struggling with set pieces this season. Crystal Palace’s boss, Oliver Glasner, has been pretty vocal about his team’s problems too—a message that could make Liverpool think twice about some of their transfer targets.

Everybody knows Liverpool’s set-piece defending has been a mess this year. They even made a change, letting set-piece coach Aaron Briggs go right before the new year. At that point, Liverpool actually had the worst record for defending set pieces across Europe’s top five leagues. Now it’s up to Arne Slot and the rest of the coaching staff to figure out how to fix it.

So what’s next? People are talking about Liverpool signing a new defender in January—Marc Guehi’s name keeps coming up. He almost joined Liverpool last summer, but that deal fell apart at the last minute. His contract runs out at the end of the season, so there’s a real question: Does Liverpool wait and get him for free, or do they try to sign him now and boost Slot’s options in defence?

But then Glasner’s latest comments kind of throw a wrench in that idea. Even with Guehi in the team, Palace are still leaking goals from set pieces.

After Palace lost 2-0 at Newcastle on Sunday—their fourth defeat in five games—Glasner told Sky Sports, “It was a good performance, but in the last four defeats, we lost three just from set pieces. It’s not acceptable, and I have to find solutions to support the players better. We can’t afford to give so many goals away from set pieces. That’s why we lost today. I was pleased with how we moved the ball and defended, but we need to look at where we can improve. In the second phase, it’s just too much. We need to do better.”

So, if anything, Glasner sounds even more determined to keep Guehi at Palace for the rest of the season, even if that means letting him leave for nothing in the summer.

He’s already hinted that Guehi is staying put through January. On the other side, Arne Slot isn’t exactly fueling rumours about Liverpool spending big in the winter window. Slot said last month, “This is our way of working at Liverpool. People think we have unlimited money, but that’s just not true. You insiders know—everyone else just talks about our spending—what we actually bring in to spend.”

BRUNO SALTOR OFFICIALLY JOINS TOTTENHAM AS ASSISTANT COACH FOR THE NORTH LONDON DERBY

Tottenham appoints Bruno Saltor! Discover the new coaching team under Igor Tudor and the departures following Thomas Frank's exit.

top-news
Tottenham Confirm Bruno Saltor as Assistant Coach Under Igor Tudor

Tottenham Hotspur just shook up their coaching staff, bringing in Bruno Saltor, a guy who’s worked with Chelsea and West Ham in the past.

Saltor’s stepping in alongside interim boss Igor Tudor until the season wraps up. Spurs let go of Thomas Frank earlier this month, and, like Manchester United, they’ve decided to go with a temporary setup for now and figure out the bigger picture in the summer.

Tudor, who’s managed clubs like Marseille, Lazio, and Juventus, is set to take charge for the first time this weekend in the North London derby against Arsenal. Saltor will be in the dugout for his first Spurs match, too.

If you’ve followed Saltor’s career, you might know he’s often worked with Graham Potter. That’s how he ended up at both Chelsea and West Ham. When Potter left Chelsea in 2023, Saltor took over as interim head coach. His one match in charge ended in a 0-0 draw with Liverpool. Frank Lampard replaced him soon after, and Saltor stayed on as part of the coaching staff until Mauricio Pochettino arrived, at which point he moved on. He later reunited with Potter at West Ham but left when Potter did in September.

Tottenham’s official statement confirmed the news: “Following the arrival of Igor Tudor as Head Coach until the end of the season, we can now confirm the appointment of three additional coaches to our Men’s First Team coaching staff. We welcome Bruno Saltor as Igor's assistant coach." Born in El Masnou, Spain, Saltor started his playing career in his home country before joining Brighton in 2012. He made 235 appearances there over seven years, then moved into coaching with the Seagulls after retiring in 2019. Since then, he’s picked up experience at Chelsea and West Ham.

Along with Saltor’s appointment, Spurs also announced some departures. Justin Cochrane, John Heitinga, and Chris Haslam are all leaving the coaching staff after Frank’s exit. The club thanked them for their efforts and wished them well.

GLASNER OUT? CRYSTAL PALACE CONSIDERING IMMEDIATE EXIT FOR BOSS AFTER DISMAL EUROPEAN DRAW

Oliver Glasner’s exit is imminent! Discover why Robbie Keane has emerged as the favorite to lead Crystal Palace out of crisis.

top-news
Odds crash on Robbie Keane becoming the next Crystal Palace manager.

Oliver Glasner was supposed to stick around at Crystal Palace until the end of the season. That was the plan, anyway. But after another rough run of results, his exit could come a lot sooner.

Thursday night in Bosnia should’ve been nothing special, just a routine first leg against a team Palace should handle easily, with the real test back at Selhurst Park next week. Instead, a 1-1 draw against Zrinjski Mostar turned into another mess in a season that’s gotten uglier by the week for Glasner and Palace.

The travelling fans didn’t hide how they felt.

Palace have only managed one win in their last 15 games. That’s not a blip; it’s a full-on collapse, and it looks like Glasner’s time might be up even faster than everyone thought.

People at the top of the club have started openly asking if letting Glasner finish out his contract is actually hurting more than helping. He said back in January that he’d leave when his deal was up in the summer, but with results falling off a cliff and morale at rock bottom, those discussions have picked up speed.

Word is, Palace have already started looking for Glasner’s replacement, planning for a summer hire. But now, it looks like they might bring in his successor right away.

One name has shot straight to the top of the list: Robbie Keane.

TalkSPORT’s Alex Crook says Palace are considering Keane as a short-term fix if Glasner goes before the season ends. Keane’s reputation has soared lately. He won the Israeli Premier League with Maccabi Tel Aviv, then took the Hungarian league title in his first season at Ferencváros.

His win rate at Maccabi was over 73 per cent. He’s also done time as an assistant coach at Leeds and Middlesbrough. People who’ve played for him, like Ireland’s Callum O’Dowda, rave about him. O’Dowda said, “As soon as he opens his mouth, you want to listen. It’s phenomenal, really. On the coaching side,e he has been good.”

For now, Keane is still in charge at Ferencvaros, who are still in the Europa League, so prying him away won’t be simple.

Palace sit 13th in the Premier League, eight points clear of the relegation zone, but that gap feels less safe with every week they fail to win.

Tottenham even considered Keane as an interim manager before they went with Igor Tudor.

Premier League Standings

WhatsApp Read More News