StadiumPosts Logo
Stay upto date with notifications from Stadiumposts
Notifications can be managed in browser preferences

JUST IN: CYRIEL DESSERS SENT HOME! NIGERIA’S STRIKER CRISIS EXPLODES JUST BEFORE THE KNOCKOUT STAGE

Cyriel Dessers ruled out of AFCON 2025 as injury crisis hits Nigeria. See the latest on Alebiosu & Nnadi ahead of Mozambique clash.

Just In: Cyriel Dessers sent home! Nigeria’s striker crisis explodes just before the knockout stage
Cyriel Dessers ruled out of AFCON 2025 as injury crisis hits Nigeria. See the latest on Alebiosu & Nnadi ahead of Mozambique clash.

Nigeria just took a big hit at the 2025 Africa Cup of Nations. Cyriel Dessers is out for the rest of the tournament with a thigh injury, so that’s one less weapon for the Super Eagles.

Dessers, who plays for Panathinaikos, had been struggling with his thigh for a while and missed all three group games—Tanzania, Tunisia, and Uganda. They sent him for a scan, and the news wasn’t good. He’s heading back to Greece to recover and won’t play any part in Nigeria’s chase for their fourth continental crown.

A Super Eagles official said that losing Dessers is a tough blow. “He left the team’s hotel a few hours ago, and it’s a big blow for us because we all know what he brings to the group,” the official said. You could hear the disappointment. Everyone knew Dessers had his heart set on this tournament.

Still, the mood in the camp hasn’t wavered much. The official insisted the squad is locked in, ready to face whatever comes next. “We’re confident the other players are ready to step up and fill the gap. This team has options, and we’re all focused on Mozambique.” They’re not letting this derail the mission. They want Dessers back healthy as soon as possible.

Things aren’t much clearer in defence either. Blackburn Rovers’ Alebiosu is a serious doubt for the Mozambique game. He missed Friday’s training after picking up a nasty cut to his leg during that 3–1 win over Uganda, where he played the whole match in place of Bright Osayi-Samuel. They had to take him to the hospital, and now nobody’s sure if he’ll be fit in time.

And there’s more. Tochukwu Nnadi also sat out training, sidelined by a cold. The Zulte Waregem midfielder came on for the last 14 minutes against Uganda, but now he’s questionable as well.

Next up, Nigeria faces Mozambique on January 5 at Fez Stadium. Make it through, and they’ll square off against either Algeria or DR Congo in the quarterfinals. Lots of questions, but the team’s eyes are still on the prize.

PEREIRA ERA BEGINS: NOTTINGHAM FOREST CRUSH FENERBAHCE 3-0 IN EUROPA LEAGUE PLAY-OFF DEBUT

Vitor Pereira's Forest era starts with a bang! Discover how Igor Jesus and Gibbs-White secured a 3-0 Europa League win in Istanbul.

top-news
Pereira silences critics with tactical masterclass at the Sukru Saracoglu

That was some debut for Vitor Pereira as Nottingham Forest’s new boss. After three managers came and went, maybe the fourth time really is the charm.

Pereira didn’t get an easy start, either. Fenerbahce away in a high-stakes Europa League play-off? That’s a baptism by fire. He’s the fourth man in the hot seat this season, stepping in after Forest sent Sean Dyche packing.

Funny thing is, people said the same things about Dyche when he took over. He steadied the team right away, especially after Ange Postecoglou left things in a mess. Dyche brought back the basics: tight defence and no-nonsense football. And honestly, it worked for a bit, just like it did under Nuno Espirito Santo.

But then the wheels started to come off. Forest looked like they were steering straight for relegation with Dyche in charge.

Marinakis, the owner, decided Pereira was the man to avoid disaster. First job: survive Fenerbahçe away. No one expected it to be easy.

Forest actually started well. They kept the ball, used it smartly, and looked sharp. Pereira made a bold call starting two quick wingers, Omari Hutchinson and Callum Hudson-Odoi, with Morgan Gibbs-White playing just behind Igor Jesus, who’s been unstoppable in the Europa League.

It paid off. Gibbs-White and Jesus linked up for Forest’s second goal after Murillo rampaged forward and finally smashed the ball past Ederson (yes, that Ederson). Jesus barely had to do anything for his seventh Europa League goal in as many games, thanks to a wild headed assist from Gibbs-White – a move you don’t usually get from your playmaker, twisting at the front post and somehow finding the Brazilian.

Then Gibbs-White scored himself in the second half. 3-0 in Istanbul. Forest has one foot in the last 16 already.

Now, let’s be honest, Fenerbahçe aren’t exactly European giants. They haven’t won their league in ages. But with a midfield of Kante, Guendouzi, and Talisca? Semedo and Asensio on the flanks? Is Domenico Tedesco in charge? On paper, they should’ve put up a real fight.

Instead, they were just… awful. Shockingly bad. Honestly, they looked as poor as Qarabag did yesterday.

Forest could’ve slipped up or failed to take advantage, but they didn’t. They bossed the match from start to finish. Never in doubt.

So yeah, it’s a great start for Pereira. But we’ve seen this before. Dyche’s first game looked good, too. We’re not getting carried away just yet.

And let’s be real about Dyche; people call him a firefighter, but how many relegation scraps has he actually won? One with Everton, if you count last season, though most thought they’d survive anyway. He got sacked by Burnley before the end of their last relegation battle, and they went down the season before that, too.

Pereira’s got a better record. He took over Wolves when they were 19th in the Premier League, nine points from 16 games, basically dead and buried. Four months later, they were safe, 12 points clear, and had beaten Manchester United twice. Not bad.

Things eventually went south for him at Wolves, but Forest still saw enough to hand him the keys to their burning house or, if you prefer, the sinking ship. This is the same club that sacked Nuno, hired Ange, then Dyche, so logic isn’t really their thing, but here we are.

Maybe the fourth manager will finally get it right. Forest were excellent against Fenerbahçe and look set for the Europa League last 16. If they keep playing like this, the chaos might finally pay off.

XABI ALONSO REJECTS MARSEILLE: SPANIARD TURNS DOWN OM JOB OFFER AS LIVERPOOL LINKS GROW STRONGER

Xabi Alonso rejects "messy" Marseille! Discover why he turned down OM and the latest on his potential move to replace Arne Slot.

top-news
Inside Xabi Alonso's refusal to join OM amid their "climate of inconsistency."

Xabi Alonso just turned down Marseille, who are deep in chaos right now. Meanwhile, talk about him heading back to Liverpool won’t go away. Alonso, now 44, got the boot from Real Madrid in January, just seven months after he left Bayer Leverkusen. Losing to Barcelona in the Super Cup final did him no favours, but honestly, trouble was brewing long before that. Several senior players felt disrespected by Alonso and didn’t buy into his style.

His tense relationship with Vinicius Junior pretty much summed up how things went wrong in the dressing room. Florentino Perez, never one for patience, sacked him. Since then, Alvaro Arbeloa stepped in, and Real seems to be getting back on track.

Alonso’s rough time at the Bernabeu, where he actually spent five years as a player, has made him picky about his next job. French outlet RMC Sport says he immediately said no to Marseille, worried the club is just too much of a mess right now.

Earlier this month, Roberto De Zerbi walked away from managing Marseille, setting off a chain reaction. After a brutal 5-0 loss to PSG, he and the club agreed to part ways. Just four days later, sporting director Medhi Benatia also announced he was leaving, saying the club’s communication had totally broken down and he couldn’t just ignore the situation anymore.

But then Frank McCourt, the club’s owner, stepped in and said Benatia will actually stay until the season ends. The fans weren't happy either; during Saturday’s 2-2 draw with Strasbourg, supporters behind both goals boycotted the first 15 minutes and spent the game whistling at their own team.

After Alonso said no, Marseille gave the job to Habib Beye. He used to play for Newcastle and Aston Villa, and now he’s at the Stade Velodrome, even though Rennes just sacked him last week.

As for Alonso, he’s taking his time before picking his next move. Not long ago, he was the hottest coach in Europe. Now, all eyes are on Liverpool, with rumours swirling that he could replace Arne Slot. Last month, a journalist asked Slot if Alonso had called him to talk about taking his job, and Slot had some fun with it. “Yeah, he called me and said, ‘What do you think about the team? "I'm taking over in six months; can you fill me in?" Slot joked.

“Or maybe sooner. Maybe he takes over tomorrow! No, no, no. That’s one of the weirdest questions I’ve ever had. What’s there to say? I’ve been here for over a year and a half, and I really enjoy it. We won the league last season, and this year’s been tougher. That’s just how it goes sometimes.”

Premier League Standings

WhatsApp Read More News