StadiumPosts Logo
Stay upto date with notifications from Stadiumposts
Notifications can be managed in browser preferences

STATEMENT: CHRIS EUBANK JR. AND JAKE PAUL REACT TO FATAL ANTHONY JOSHUA ACCIDENT

Tragedy in Lagos as Anthony Joshua survives a fatal crash that killed coach Sina Ghami and Latif Ayodele. Get the full report here.

STATEMENT: Chris Eubank Jr. and Jake Paul React to Fatal Anthony Joshua Accident
Anthony Joshua hospitalised

Two of Anthony Joshua's buddies and team members died in that car crash in Nigeria where the British boxer was hurt.

Sina Ghami and Latif Ayodele passed away when their car, with Joshua and another person inside, crashed into a parked truck near Lagos.

According to the Ogun State government, Joshua is doing okay and didn't need immediate medical help.

Matchroom, Joshua's promoters, said they were really sorry and thinking of the families and friends of Ghami and Ayodele.

The statement said it was really sad news that Sina Ghami and Latif Ayodele, two close friends and team members, had died.

Matchroom Boxing and 258 BXG said that Anthony got hurt in the accident and went to the hospital to get checked out. He's doing fine and will stay there for a bit to be watched over.

They also said they were sending their deepest sympathies and prayers to everyone affected and asked that people respect their privacy during this tough time.

Fellow boxer Chris Eubank Jr. also paid his respects to Ghami and Ayodele, who was also called 'Latz,' saying they were genuinely good guys.

The British middleweight said, Thank goodness our heavyweight champ survived that awful car crash. Pray for Latz & Sina and their families. I knew them both; they were good people. Rest in peace, guys.

Ghami was Joshua's full-time rehab coach and had worked with him for over 10 years.

He helped the former champ get ready for some big fights, like the one against Wladimir Klitschko in 2017 and the recent win over Jake Paul.

Ghami also worked with Le'Veon Bell from the Pittsburgh Steelers and Draymond Green from the Golden State Warriors.

Just before the crash, Joshua posted a video on Instagram of him playing ping pong with his longtime friend Ayodele, who was a personal trainer.

Joshua was in Nigeria after beating Jake Paul in Miami earlier this month.

Paul wrote on X that life is more important than boxing and that he was praying for those who died, AJ, and anyone else affected by the accident.

Sonny Bill Williams, a former New Zealand rugby star, posted photos with Joshua and Latif, saying, Rest easy, brother Abdul Latif. I hope things are easy for your family.

British bantamweight Shannon Courtenay said, RIP Sina and Latz, two good guys. Last week we were all having fun in Miami, and now you're gone. Life's too short. I hope their families are okay during this terrible time.

Video from the scene showed Joshua being helped out of a wrecked car.

Nigeria's Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) said that five men were involved in the crash.

They added that Joshua and the driver were saved by Joshua's security team.

The crash involved a black Lexus and a parked red truck on the Lagos-Ibadan expressway around noon on Monday.

The FRSC thinks the Lexus was going too fast and lost control while trying to pass, crashing into the truck.

Joshua had just come back to boxing after a year off, beating Jake Paul in what was a huge payday. He was in Nigeria to spend New Year's with family when this happened.

The plan was for Joshua to box again in Saudi Arabia in February before maybe fighting Tyson Fury in 2026. But right now, that doesn't seem important.

Joshua has lost two close friends, including his longtime coach Ghami. It's hard to say how much this will affect him. Ghami was with him during fight week in Miami and joined him in the ring after he beat Paul.

Whatever he does next in his career doesn't really matter right now. The boxing world is hoping that Joshua gets through this okay.

THE EIGHT-FIGURE GAMBLE: CONOR BENN SIGNS A MASSIVE ONE-FIGHT DEAL WITH ZUFFA BOXING

Conor Benn joins Zuffa Boxing! Discover why he left Eddie Hearn, the details of his 8-figure deal, and Dana White's global plans.

top-news
Conor Benn officially joins Zuffa Boxing after a decade with Eddie Hearn

Zuffa Boxing just landed one of the top welterweights out there, Conor Benn. The up-and-coming promotion announced Benn’s signing, adding even more star power to its growing roster.

Benn, 29, is riding high after a huge win over Chris Eubank Jr last November, finally getting his revenge after Eubank handed him his first-ever loss just seven months before. Right now, Benn stands at 24-1, with 14 knockouts. He’s held the WBA Continental Europe Welterweight title, too. There’s no date or opponent set for his Zuffa debut yet, but this is a big move for Dana White and his crew, who are serious about building a roster packed with champions and big names.

“I’m filled with excitement and hunger for what’s ahead with Zuffa Boxing,” Benn said in a press release. “I want the legacy fights, the biggest nights, the biggest stages. I fear no man at any weight, and I’m ready to give the fans the fights they’ve been calling for. I’m in my prime, and together we have bold, ambitious plans.”

Dana White is just as fired up. “Conor Benn is an absolute beast and a superstar,” he said. “He shows up every time and destroys people, and now some of the best fighters in the world are calling him out. He’s ready for a world title next, and I can’t wait to see him compete in Zuffa Boxing. He’s going to be a huge addition to a growing stable of very talented boxers.”

Sports Illustrated reports that Benn’s contract is a one-fight, eight-figure deal, though neither White nor Benn has confirmed that.

This move also heats the ongoing rivalry between Dana White and Matchroom Boxing’s Eddie Hearn. Benn had been with Hearn ever since he turned pro in 2016, but now he’s switched sides. Earlier this year, White and his team also grabbed IBF and The Ring cruiserweight champ Jai Opetaia, another former Hearn fighter.

Lately, Hearn and White have been trading shots in the media, which is wild considering they used to get along before White jumped into boxing. With two big signings already in the bag, Zuffa is out to prove it means business. And you just know they’re not stopping here.

CRIS CYBORG EYES HISTORY: MMA LEGEND SET FOR WIBA WORLD TITLE BOXING MATCH ON MARCH 28

Cris Cyborg makes history! Discover how she plans to hold MMA and boxing world titles simultaneously on March 28 in Brazil.

top-news
Cris Cyborg confirms 2026 will be her final year in professional fighting

Cris Cyborg is about to chase a slice of history on March 28.

Since leaving the UFC back in 2019, the former featherweight champ hasn’t slowed down one bit. She grabbed the Bellator 145-pound title, then picked up another belt in the Professional Fighters League. It’s like every time she shows up somewhere new, she leaves with gold.

Now, in 2026, Cyborg says she’s on her retirement tour. But she’s not just coasting to the finish line; she’s still looking to add something big to her legacy. This time, she’s stepping into a boxing ring, not an MMA cage.

It’s been a while since Cyborg lost a fight. That was back at UFC 232 against Amanda Nunes. Since then? She’s rattled off nine straight wins in MMA, but that’s only half the story. She started boxing in 2022, and she hasn’t lost there either: seven wins, no defeats.

On March 28, Cyborg gets her biggest boxing test yet. She’ll fight Paulina Cardona for the WIBA super welterweight belt. Winning would make her the first fighter ever to hold world titles in both MMA and boxing at the same time. Big names like Amanda Serrano and Holly Holm have held this belt before, so it’s not just any title.

Journalist James Lynch broke the news online and pointed out just how rare this accomplishment would be. If Cyborg pulls it off, she’ll stamp her name in the record books, plain and simple.

Let’s talk about her opponent. Cardona’s been in the ring a lot – 68 pro fights, to be exact – but her record isn’t exactly stellar. She’s 27-34-7, has been knocked out 15 times, and has only managed two wins in her last 14 outings. So, yeah, Cyborg’s the clear favourite here, and people are already raising eyebrows about the level of competition she’s been facing in boxing.

Still, history’s on the line in Curitiba, Brazil. All eyes are on Cyborg to see if she can pull off something no one else has done before. 

Premier League Standings

WhatsApp Read More News