PUNDIT VERDICT: ROY KEANE AND JAMIE CARRAGHER ANALYZE NEWCASTLE’S TACTICAL FAILURE
Roy Keane and Jamie Carragher clash with Eddie Howe over Newcastle’s loss to Man Utd, citing a lack of quality over fitness.
Turns out Newcastle's loss to Man U wasn't about being less physical, even though manager Eddie Howe kind of said it was.
That's what Roy Keane and Jamie Carragher think, anyway. They didn't agree with Howe's comments after the game. Some Newcastle fans also think the coach needs a new plan that doesn't just rely on the team being super physical.
Howe felt his guys weren't as fit as they should've been at Old Trafford, especially after their super intense game against Chelsea.
But Keane and Carragher from Sky Sports think Newcastle lost because they weren't good enough or calm enough when they got close to Man U's goal.
Howe said Newcastle didn't look as physically good as we did in our last game against Chelsea, where we were physically outstanding. He thought his team struggled to push through and score against a tight defence.
This has been a big topic for Newcastle fans. Some say the team needs a Plan B and should focus less on being physical and more on skill. Keane, who used to coach Sunderland, responded to Howe's comments by saying, The most important thing is getting the ball in the net and making smart choices.
You can talk about fitness, but they were in the right spots and just weren't good enough. They weren't calm or ready. All those balls went into the box, and nobody was moving or paying attention.
Look at Man U's goal. The ball was in the air for ages, and Newcastle didn't react. He [Howe] has plenty to be upset about. Stats are cool, but it's about scoring.
Usually, when you have passing stats like that, the other team's goalie is the star, but we barely talked about him. They didn't challenge him.
Carragher agreed; Newcastle fans always talk about how intense they are, how hard they press, and how much energy they have at St. James' Park. But it's way different when they play away, especially compared to that Sunderland game.
They had to go after Man U, given who was on the field. And though they started strong, Man U took over, and Newcastle couldn't get back in the game.
But Newcastle really took over in the second half, but they still didn't do enough to win. If you dominate like that, you're showing you're the better team.
In the first half, they only had one real chance from a set piece. Their set pieces were better than their regular plays. But the goalie didn't even have to make one save.
Howe agreed with that, saying, I think we made chances; we just didn’t make outstanding chances, the type of chances you need to score.
Newcastle's players get a four-day break now before playing Burnley on Tuesday to end 2025.
Howe would like to switch players up to keep everyone fresh and fit, but he doesn't have many choices because so many players are hurt, especially on defence.
Kieran Trippier, Emil Krafth, Tino Livramento, Jamaal Lascelles, Sven Botman, and Dan Burn are all injured. This means Lewis Miley has to play right-back, which limits the midfield choices. Although Howe can still use Joe Willock and Joelinton, who played for the first time in five games against Man U.
Anthony Elanga missed playing against his old team due to an injury, and William Osula is also still recovering. Yoane Wissa isn't ready to start games yet, as the medical team is slowly getting him back in shape after his knee injury.
BRUNO SALTOR OFFICIALLY JOINS TOTTENHAM AS ASSISTANT COACH FOR THE NORTH LONDON DERBY
Tottenham appoints Bruno Saltor! Discover the new coaching team under Igor Tudor and the departures following Thomas Frank's exit.
Tottenham Hotspur just shook up their coaching staff, bringing in Bruno Saltor, a guy who’s worked with Chelsea and West Ham in the past.
Saltor’s stepping in alongside interim boss Igor Tudor until the season wraps up. Spurs let go of Thomas Frank earlier this month, and, like Manchester United, they’ve decided to go with a temporary setup for now and figure out the bigger picture in the summer.
Tudor, who’s managed clubs like Marseille, Lazio, and Juventus, is set to take charge for the first time this weekend in the North London derby against Arsenal. Saltor will be in the dugout for his first Spurs match, too.
If you’ve followed Saltor’s career, you might know he’s often worked with Graham Potter. That’s how he ended up at both Chelsea and West Ham. When Potter left Chelsea in 2023, Saltor took over as interim head coach. His one match in charge ended in a 0-0 draw with Liverpool. Frank Lampard replaced him soon after, and Saltor stayed on as part of the coaching staff until Mauricio Pochettino arrived, at which point he moved on. He later reunited with Potter at West Ham but left when Potter did in September.
Tottenham’s official statement confirmed the news: “Following the arrival of Igor Tudor as Head Coach until the end of the season, we can now confirm the appointment of three additional coaches to our Men’s First Team coaching staff. We welcome Bruno Saltor as Igor's assistant coach." Born in El Masnou, Spain, Saltor started his playing career in his home country before joining Brighton in 2012. He made 235 appearances there over seven years, then moved into coaching with the Seagulls after retiring in 2019. Since then, he’s picked up experience at Chelsea and West Ham.
Along with Saltor’s appointment, Spurs also announced some departures. Justin Cochrane, John Heitinga, and Chris Haslam are all leaving the coaching staff after Frank’s exit. The club thanked them for their efforts and wished them well.
GLASNER OUT? CRYSTAL PALACE CONSIDERING IMMEDIATE EXIT FOR BOSS AFTER DISMAL EUROPEAN DRAW
Oliver Glasner’s exit is imminent! Discover why Robbie Keane has emerged as the favorite to lead Crystal Palace out of crisis.
Oliver Glasner was supposed to stick around at Crystal Palace until the end of the season. That was the plan, anyway. But after another rough run of results, his exit could come a lot sooner.
Thursday night in Bosnia should’ve been nothing special, just a routine first leg against a team Palace should handle easily, with the real test back at Selhurst Park next week. Instead, a 1-1 draw against Zrinjski Mostar turned into another mess in a season that’s gotten uglier by the week for Glasner and Palace.
The travelling fans didn’t hide how they felt.
Palace have only managed one win in their last 15 games. That’s not a blip; it’s a full-on collapse, and it looks like Glasner’s time might be up even faster than everyone thought.
People at the top of the club have started openly asking if letting Glasner finish out his contract is actually hurting more than helping. He said back in January that he’d leave when his deal was up in the summer, but with results falling off a cliff and morale at rock bottom, those discussions have picked up speed.
Word is, Palace have already started looking for Glasner’s replacement, planning for a summer hire. But now, it looks like they might bring in his successor right away.
One name has shot straight to the top of the list: Robbie Keane.
TalkSPORT’s Alex Crook says Palace are considering Keane as a short-term fix if Glasner goes before the season ends. Keane’s reputation has soared lately. He won the Israeli Premier League with Maccabi Tel Aviv, then took the Hungarian league title in his first season at Ferencváros.
His win rate at Maccabi was over 73 per cent. He’s also done time as an assistant coach at Leeds and Middlesbrough. People who’ve played for him, like Ireland’s Callum O’Dowda, rave about him. O’Dowda said, “As soon as he opens his mouth, you want to listen. It’s phenomenal, really. On the coaching side,e he has been good.”
For now, Keane is still in charge at Ferencvaros, who are still in the Europa League, so prying him away won’t be simple.
Palace sit 13th in the Premier League, eight points clear of the relegation zone, but that gap feels less safe with every week they fail to win.
Tottenham even considered Keane as an interim manager before they went with Igor Tudor.