THE VAN DE VEN TACKLE: THE SURPRISE REASON VAR REFUSED TO SHOW A RED CARD
Liverpool striker Alexander Isak faces six months out with a suspected broken leg following Micky van de Ven’s tackle.
After Liverpool's tight 2-1 win against Tottenham on Saturday, everyone's talking about Micky van de Ven's tackle on Alexander Isak. Isak, who scored the first goal, might have a broken leg because of it.
Right after Isak scored, Van de Ven slid in and caught his leg as he planted it. Isak had to leave the game. Everyone was worried; it looked bad. They called for a stretcher, but he managed to walk off with help from Liverpool's medical staff.
The club doesn't think it's an ACL injury, but what they suspect is still pretty serious. Reports said Sunday it could be a lower leg break. But they don't know how bad it is or how long he'll be out until they get more scans and updates.
Lots of people are wondering why Van de Ven didn't get a penalty because the tackle looked rough. Replays showed he went in hard and didn't really have a chance to get the ball, which led to a bad injury for the £125m player.
The tackle started a big argument. The experts on Sky Sports' Ref Watch didn't agree whether it should have been a red card. Jay Bothroyd, a former pro, said that Van de Ven probably didn't mean to hurt Isak, but the tackle was still reckless and deserved a red card.
Bothroyd said Van de Ven wasn't trying to hurt Isak on purpose. He was just trying to stop a goal.
But even though Isak scored, it should still be a red card. He lunged and went right into him. It checks all the boxes for a red-card challenge. They let it slide because he scored.
He was out of control. He's trying to block, but he's not going to get there. If that happened in the middle of the field, it would be a red card.
Dermot Gallagher, who used to be a referee, disagreed. He thinks it wasn't a red-card tackle and that what happened after shouldn't change how you see the tackle itself.
Gallagher said, I don't see anything he did that a normal soccer player wouldn't do. I'd be shocked if that got a red card anywhere on the field.
Players mess up tackles all the time. He was a bit late, but it's not a red card whether it's in the penalty area, the D, the centre circle, or the other half.
But both experts did agree that the ref was right to send off Xavi Simons for his tackle on Virgil van Dijk earlier in the game. Simons went in dangerously on van Dijk, catching his calf with his studs.
Gallagher said about the Simons thing, I want to be clear that I don't think Simons meant to do it, but he did it. Once you see the replay, you can't ignore it.
In today's game, VAR is always going to call that a red card. He's unlucky, but he's going to get a red. You just can't make tackles like that anymore.
BRUNO SALTOR OFFICIALLY JOINS TOTTENHAM AS ASSISTANT COACH FOR THE NORTH LONDON DERBY
Tottenham appoints Bruno Saltor! Discover the new coaching team under Igor Tudor and the departures following Thomas Frank's exit.
Tottenham Hotspur just shook up their coaching staff, bringing in Bruno Saltor, a guy who’s worked with Chelsea and West Ham in the past.
Saltor’s stepping in alongside interim boss Igor Tudor until the season wraps up. Spurs let go of Thomas Frank earlier this month, and, like Manchester United, they’ve decided to go with a temporary setup for now and figure out the bigger picture in the summer.
Tudor, who’s managed clubs like Marseille, Lazio, and Juventus, is set to take charge for the first time this weekend in the North London derby against Arsenal. Saltor will be in the dugout for his first Spurs match, too.
If you’ve followed Saltor’s career, you might know he’s often worked with Graham Potter. That’s how he ended up at both Chelsea and West Ham. When Potter left Chelsea in 2023, Saltor took over as interim head coach. His one match in charge ended in a 0-0 draw with Liverpool. Frank Lampard replaced him soon after, and Saltor stayed on as part of the coaching staff until Mauricio Pochettino arrived, at which point he moved on. He later reunited with Potter at West Ham but left when Potter did in September.
Tottenham’s official statement confirmed the news: “Following the arrival of Igor Tudor as Head Coach until the end of the season, we can now confirm the appointment of three additional coaches to our Men’s First Team coaching staff. We welcome Bruno Saltor as Igor's assistant coach." Born in El Masnou, Spain, Saltor started his playing career in his home country before joining Brighton in 2012. He made 235 appearances there over seven years, then moved into coaching with the Seagulls after retiring in 2019. Since then, he’s picked up experience at Chelsea and West Ham.
Along with Saltor’s appointment, Spurs also announced some departures. Justin Cochrane, John Heitinga, and Chris Haslam are all leaving the coaching staff after Frank’s exit. The club thanked them for their efforts and wished them well.
GLASNER OUT? CRYSTAL PALACE CONSIDERING IMMEDIATE EXIT FOR BOSS AFTER DISMAL EUROPEAN DRAW
Oliver Glasner’s exit is imminent! Discover why Robbie Keane has emerged as the favorite to lead Crystal Palace out of crisis.
Oliver Glasner was supposed to stick around at Crystal Palace until the end of the season. That was the plan, anyway. But after another rough run of results, his exit could come a lot sooner.
Thursday night in Bosnia should’ve been nothing special, just a routine first leg against a team Palace should handle easily, with the real test back at Selhurst Park next week. Instead, a 1-1 draw against Zrinjski Mostar turned into another mess in a season that’s gotten uglier by the week for Glasner and Palace.
The travelling fans didn’t hide how they felt.
Palace have only managed one win in their last 15 games. That’s not a blip; it’s a full-on collapse, and it looks like Glasner’s time might be up even faster than everyone thought.
People at the top of the club have started openly asking if letting Glasner finish out his contract is actually hurting more than helping. He said back in January that he’d leave when his deal was up in the summer, but with results falling off a cliff and morale at rock bottom, those discussions have picked up speed.
Word is, Palace have already started looking for Glasner’s replacement, planning for a summer hire. But now, it looks like they might bring in his successor right away.
One name has shot straight to the top of the list: Robbie Keane.
TalkSPORT’s Alex Crook says Palace are considering Keane as a short-term fix if Glasner goes before the season ends. Keane’s reputation has soared lately. He won the Israeli Premier League with Maccabi Tel Aviv, then took the Hungarian league title in his first season at Ferencváros.
His win rate at Maccabi was over 73 per cent. He’s also done time as an assistant coach at Leeds and Middlesbrough. People who’ve played for him, like Ireland’s Callum O’Dowda, rave about him. O’Dowda said, “As soon as he opens his mouth, you want to listen. It’s phenomenal, really. On the coaching side,e he has been good.”
For now, Keane is still in charge at Ferencvaros, who are still in the Europa League, so prying him away won’t be simple.
Palace sit 13th in the Premier League, eight points clear of the relegation zone, but that gap feels less safe with every week they fail to win.
Tottenham even considered Keane as an interim manager before they went with Igor Tudor.