StadiumPosts Logo
Stay upto date with notifications from Stadiumposts
Notifications can be managed in browser preferences

WHY DANIIL MEDVEDEV, BUBLIK ARE PLAYING RUSSIA'S EXHIBITION

Top tennis stars like Daniil Medvedev are set to play the Gazprom-funded Northern Palmyra Trophies in St. Petersburg, a controversial exhibition backed by a key financier of Russia's war in Ukraine, drawing criticism.

Why Daniil Medvedev, Bublik Are Playing Russia's Exhibition
Daniil Medvedev Among Players Announced

Since initiating an unlawful invasion in February 2022, Russia and Ukraine have been at war. Despite significant adversity, Ukraine has fought for its independence for more than three years, with ongoing assistance from a number of nations.

Marta Kostyuk and Elina Svitolina are two Ukrainians who have expressed their strong opinions and talked passionately about the state of their nation. According to both women, until peace is achieved, all Russian athletes should be prohibited.

Russian and Belarusian opponents do not shake hands with Ukrainian athletes. Kostyuk explained earlier this year why she granted an exemption to Daria Kasatkina, a Russian national who changed her allegiance to Australia.

Following Alcaraz's withdrawal from Davis Cup duty, the captain of Spain said, "We are devastated."

On November 29 and 30, the fourth Northern Palmyra Trophies will take place in St. Petersburg. During Russia's exclusion from the ATP and WTA Tours, this exhibition has been used to allow tournaments to be hosted there.

The Northern Palmyra Trophies are even more contentious because they are sponsored by Gazprom, a Russian state-owned international energy firm that has been instrumental in funding the nation's conflict against Ukraine.

Nevertheless, a number of well-known athletes have agreed to perform in the event. The most well-known player to be announced for the tournament is Daniil Medvedev, the 2021 US Open winner, who was born in Russia.

Medvedev declared his support for peace at the start of the conflict in Ukraine. Although the former ATP world No. 1 has not publicly criticized the Russian government, he has made it plain that he opposes the war.

Supporters of Ukraine will be especially disappointed by his engagement because of this. Either Medvedev's views have changed, or he does not see any issue with maintaining his convictions and performing in his native country, regardless of the sponsor.

Another individual on the entry list is Alexander Bublik, who had a year that was his finest in his career. Although he was born in Russia, he represents Kazakhstan and has refrained from speaking out against the conflict since it started.

The inclusion of Karen Khachanov in the show is not surprising. Politico said a few years back that he got into a fight with Andrey Rublev, who has been vocally opposed to the war in Ukraine.

A number of WTA athletes who were born in Russia have also committed to the show. They include the fiery Yulia Putintseva, budding sensation Diana Shnaider, and Veronika Kudermetova, who earlier this year disclosed Holger Rune's interest in her.

Tallon Griekspoor, a Dutchman, is also anticipated to attend the competition. He was the last guy to defeat Jannik Sinner, but he did so by retiring during the Shanghai Masters in 2025 after the Italian started experiencing severe cramps.

THE EIGHT-YEAR GAP: SVITOLINA REACHES FIRST WTA 1000 FINAL SINCE 2018 IN DUBAI

Svitolina stuns Gauff! Discover how she reached the Dubai final to face Pegula, plus Alcaraz's 11-0 streak and Venus' return.

top-news
Ukrainian star reaches Dubai final after 3-hour marathon epic

Elina Svitolina stunned world number four Coco Gauff to earn a spot in the Dubai Tennis Championships final, where she’ll face Jessica Pegula.

Pegula got there first, clawing her way back after a rough start against Amanda Anisimova. She dropped the first set badly and even lost her serve early in the second, but still pulled off a 1-6, 6-4, 6-3 win.

Gauff, just 21, almost set up an all-American final, but Svitolina refused to fold. The match? Epic. Svitolina took it 6-4, 6-7 (13-15), 6-4 after more than three hours on court. She let four match points slip in a wild second-set tiebreak, but didn’t let that break her. She powered through the decider, and now she’s back in the Dubai final for the first time since she won the title back-to-back in 2017 and 2018.

“I was playing like there’s no tomorrow, just giving it everything,” Svitolina said afterwards.

Over in the men’s Qatar Open, world number one Carlos Alcaraz kept his perfect 2026 record alive. He beat Andrey Rublev 7-6 (7-3), 6-4 to reach the final. Alcaraz, just 22, already grabbed the Australian Open this season and became the youngest man to complete a career Grand Slam. He’s won all 11 matches he’s played this year.

“I know what I can do every time I step on the court,” Alcaraz said.

He’ll face Arthur Fils from France in the final. Fils beat Jakub Mensik of the Czech Republic, who’d knocked out world number two Jannik Sinner earlier in the week, 6-4, 7-6 (7-4).

And in some more big news, Venus Williams is heading back to Indian Wells. The seven-time Grand Slam champ, now 45, got a wildcard for both singles and doubles.

“It’s great to be heading back to Indian Wells and returning home to California,” Williams said in a statement.

9-0 STREAK: ANALYZING CARLOS ALCARAZ’S PERFECT START TO THE 2026 TENNIS SEASON

Alcaraz hits 9-0: Discover why Valentin Royer warned Alcaraz and Sinner after their 2026 clash and the latest ATP rankings.

top-news
Carlos Alcaraz extends his unbeaten 2026 run to nine matches

Carlos Alcaraz and Jannik Sinner just got a playful warning from their ATP rival, Valentin Royer.

Alcaraz, with seven Grand Slam titles, and Sinner, who has four, have completely owned men’s tennis for the last couple of years. They’ve split the last nine majors; each grabbed four ATP Masters 1000 trophies; and keep swapping the No. 1 spot in the ATP Rankings.

No one else has really kept up. Novak Djokovic is still hanging around, but the rest of the guys, like Alexander Zverev, Lorenzo Musetti, Alex de Minaur, Taylor Fritz, Felix Auger-Aliassime, and Ben Shelton, are all chasing from behind.

Alcaraz is rolling right now. He’s unbeaten in 2026 so far, standing at 9-0. After winning his first Australian Open title, he followed up with wins over Arthur Rinderknech and Royer.

After Alcaraz beat Royer 6-2, 7-5, the two shared a light moment at the net. Royer, currently world No. 60, told Alcaraz, “I’ll come for you and Jannik, don’t worry. Some day.” Alcaraz laughed and said, “I will wait for you, man.”

Royer actually had a shot in the second set. He broke Alcaraz’s serve early and was up 5-3, serving for the set, but Alcaraz broke back, held serve, and broke again to close out the match.

Asked if he was nervous, Alcaraz admitted, “Honestly, I had to be ready for anything. There were moments when I thought about a third set; I’m not going to lie. But that was just a small part of my mind. Mostly, I was focused on finding solutions, figuring out how to get back on track.

“I’m really happy I found my rhythm again and played good tennis. Sometimes it just comes down to one point. Closing out a set or a match isn’t always easy. I just had to stay in it, and I’m glad I turned it around and got the win in straight sets.”

Next, he faces seventh seed Karen Khachanov in the quarterfinals. If he gets through, he’ll meet either Andrey Rublev or Stefanos Tsitsipas in the semis. Sinner is the likely opponent waiting in the final.

“Everybody expects us to play every final, every tournament, but that’s not easy. There are a lot of players out here who want to beat us,” Alcaraz said about a possible final against Sinner.

Premier League Standings

WhatsApp Read More News