StadiumPosts Logo
Stay upto date with notifications from Stadiumposts
Notifications can be managed in browser preferences

FROM STARS TO SUSPECTS — EMMANUEL CLASE, LUIS ORTIZ FACE PITCH-RIGGING ALLEGATIONS

Cleveland Guardians pitchers Emmanuel Clase and Luis Ortiz were indicted on federal charges for taking bribes to manipulate pitches for sports bettors. The alleged scheme netted gamblers over $460,000 on in-game prop bets.

From stars to suspects — Emmanuel Clase, Luis Ortiz  face pitch-rigging allegations
Luis Ortiz pitching - Photo Credit: Ken Blaze-Imagn Images

Pitchers Luis Ortiz and Emmanuel Clase of the Cleveland Guardians have been charged with accepting bribes from sports bettors to throw specific pitches—such as throwing balls in the dirt rather than strikes—to guarantee winning wagers.

The indictment, which was made public in federal court in Brooklyn on Sunday, claims that the highly compensated hurlers accepted payoffs totalling several thousand dollars to assist two unidentified gamblers from their home country of the Dominican Republic in winning at least $460,000 through in-game prop bets on the velocity and result of certain pitches.

Since Major League Baseball began looking into what it said was abnormally high in-game betting activity when the Guardians' former closer Clase and starter Ortiz pitched, they have been on non-disciplinary paid leave. The aforementioned games took place in April, May, and June.

The FBI took 26-year-old Ortiz into custody at Boston Logan International Airport on Sunday. On Monday, he is scheduled to appear in federal court in Boston. Officials stated the 27-year-old Clase was not in custody.

"Betrayed America's pastime," said U.S. Attorney Joseph Nocella Jr., Ortiz and Clase. Fair play, honesty, and integrity are ingrained in professional sports. When corruption creeps into the sport, it not only embarrasses the players but also undermines public confidence in an essential and beloved institution.

"Has never, and would never, unfairly influence a game – not for anyone and not for anything," said Chris Georgalis, Ortiz's attorney, in a statement, claiming his client was innocent.

According to Georgalis, Ortiz's defence team had previously provided prosecutors with documentation proving that the money transfers and payments he made to people in the Dominican Republic were for legitimate purposes.

"With every pitch and inning, Luis tried to win games; there is no solid proof that he did anything else. "Luis is eager to defend himself in court against these accusations," Georgalis stated.

Clase's attorney did not immediately respond to emails asking for comment. There was no response from the Major League Baseball Players Association.

An investigation was initiated by unusual betting activity


When it started looking into strange betting activity, Major League Baseball says it got in touch with federal law enforcement and "has completely cooperated" with the authorities. According to a league statement, "We are aware of the indictment and today's arrest, and our investigation is ongoing."

"We are aware of the latest law enforcement action," the Guardians said in a statement. As their investigations go, we will be completely cooperative with both Major League Baseball and law enforcement."

Clase and Ortiz face charges of conspiracy to influence athletic events through bribery, conspiracy to commit wire fraud, conspiracy to commit honest services wire fraud, and conspiracy to launder money. The maximum penalty for the most serious charges is 20 years in prison.

In one instance mentioned in the indictment, Clase allegedly called a bettor shortly before he took the mound and invited him to a game against the Boston Red Sox in April. According to the indictment, the bettor and his partners earned $11,000 four minutes later on a bet that Clase would throw a certain pitch more slowly than 97.95 mph (157.63 kph).

According to the indictment, in a game against the Los Angeles Dodgers in May, Clase consented to toss a ball at a specific moment, but the batter swung, resulting in a strike, costing the bettors $4,000 in wagers. According to the indictment, Clase texted one of the bettors after the game, which the Guardians won, with pictures of a dejected puppy dog face and a man hanging himself with toilet paper.

As the fourth season of a $20 million, five-year contract, Clase, a three-time All-Star and two-time American League Reliever of the Year, earned $4.5 million in 2025. According to authorities, the three-time AL save leader started giving the bettors details on his pitches in 2023 but did not request payouts until this year.

The indictment listed specific pitches that Clase allegedly rigged, all of which were first pitches when he entered to start an inning: a slider to Minnesota's Ryan Jeffers that bounced well short of home plate on June 3, 2023, an 89.4 mph (143.8 kph) cutter to Kansas City's Bobby Witt Jr. that bounced on April 12; a 99.1 mph (159.5 kph) cutter in the dirt to Philadelphia's Max Kepler on May 11; a bounced 89.1 mph (143.4) slider to Milwaukee's Jake Bauers on May 13; and a bounced 87.5 mph (140.8 kph) slider to Cincinnati's Santiago Espinal on May 17.

Ortiz, who earned $782,600 this season, allegedly joined the plan in June and is charged with pitch-rigging in games against the St. Louis Cardinals and the Seattle Mariners, according to the prosecution.

Ortiz received a citation for bouncing a first-pitch slider to Randy Arozarena of Seattle at 86.7 mph (139.5 kph) at the beginning of the second inning on June 15 and for bouncing a slider to Pedro Pagés of St. Louis that travelled to the backstop at the beginning of the third inning on June 27.


Numerous professional players have faced charges related to gambling sweeps.


The allegations are the most shocking new information in a government assault on professional sports betting.

In a gambling sweep that shook the NBA last month, over 30 people were arrested, including well-known basketball players like Terry Rozier of the Miami Heat and Chauncey Billups, the head coach of the Portland Trail Blazers and a member of the Basketball Hall of Fame.

Although scandals involving sports betting have long been a worry, a May 2018 decision by the US Supreme Court sparked a surge in gambling-related occurrences involving athletes and officials. The decision allowed internet sportsbooks to establish a significant presence in the sports ecosystem by overturning a federal ban on sports betting in the majority of states.

In June 2024, Major League Baseball penalised five players, including Tucupita Marcano, an infielder from San Diego, who was banned for life for reportedly placing 387 baseball wagers totalling over $150,000 with a legitimate sportsbook.

KENDRICK BOURNE REVEALS THE STRICT DISCIPLINE THAT SPARKED THE PATRIOTS' TURNAROUND

Kendrick Bourne speaks out! Discover why he thinks Mike Vrabel is the right fit and why he’s eyeing a 2026 return to the 49ers.

top-news
Kendrick Bourne tops the list of receivers San Francisco wants to retain

Kendrick Bourne’s path through the NFL has zigzagged all over – some highs, plenty of lows, and now, another fresh start. He took a shot with the Patriots in 2025 after building his reputation with the 49ers. But honestly, that New England chapter ended before it even got going. Bourne didn’t just slip out the back door. He left with a lot to say about what he saw brewing in New England as Mike Vrabel took charge.

Once Vrabel arrived, you didn’t need to listen for rumours about a culture shift; it was obvious. Bourne noticed right away. He’s already got his eyes set on home, back with the 49ers, but even from a distance, he could see the Patriots were heading somewhere new long before their record showed it.

Talking about his exit from New England, Bourne didn’t sugarcoat anything. Losing the job itself wasn’t the hardest part. What stung was watching Vrabel put his stamp on the team, laying down the kind of structure and discipline Bourne knew would eventually pay off. He was blunt; things just felt different under Vrabel compared to before.

He put it like this: “After going through OTAs and camp with Vrabes, you just knew. Nothing against Mayo, but he just wasn’t ready. With Vrabes, the structure was totally different in how we studied, how we met, and just the whole vibe. Honestly, I was sad about it.”

This wasn’t just a guy being bitter. Bourne respected what was happening in New England and genuinely wished he could have been part of it, especially with a Super Bowl push on the horizon. He even admitted he’d wanted to be in that locker room when the Patriots finally made it back to the big stage.

Now he’s back with the 49ers, hoping to stick around. At 30, Bourne wants a new contract in San Francisco. He had a solid 2025, racked up 551 yards, picked up a contract bonus, and gave the offence a spark. The 49ers needed reliable hands, and Bourne delivered. He’s clear: he wants to stay, but only if the deal makes sense for him.

So now, the offseason gets interesting. Bourne knows where he fits best, but he’s still keeping an eye on what’s building in New England. That mix of looking back and chasing what’s next makes this part of his career one to pay attention to.

MRI SCARE: STEVE KERR ADMITS STEPH CURRY’S "NEBULOUS" KNEE MAY REQUIRE SECOND IMAGING

Warriors crisis! Discover why Steph Curry may need another MRI and how Jimmy Butler’s ACL tear shifts GSW to the play-in.

top-news
Warriors star to undergo new MRI as knee pain lingers

The Warriors have been scrambling since Jimmy Butler went down with that ACL tear. He’s done for the year, and now Stephen Curry has to carry the offence on his own.

Right after the All-Star break, the Warriors are sitting in eighth place out West. That’s already shaky, and now Curry’s dealing with a knee injury too. The team calls it runner's knee; basically, he just needs time to heal. But then Steve Kerr gave an update that didn’t exactly inspire confidence.

Turns out, Curry might need another MRI. He tried to push through a full workout, but his knee just wasn’t right. Now, they’re waiting on imaging to figure out how long he’ll actually be out.

Meanwhile, Kristaps Porzingis still hasn’t suited up for Golden State. If Curry misses significant time, everyone else needs to step up in a big way. The Warriors already have one of the most average offences in the league, 15th at the break. No curry, and things get ugly fast. He’s already missed 16 games this season, and the team went 6-10 without him.

Losing Butler already knocked the Warriors out of serious contention. They’re pretty much locked into the play-in. Unless Curry suddenly goes supernova, it’s hard to see them catching the Thunder or making any real noise out West.

So, what’s next? The front office tried to swing big at the deadline, going after Giannis Antetokounmpo, though who knows if the Bucks ever really considered it. Giannis stayed put, but you can bet the Warriors will chase him again this summer.

If that doesn’t work, they’ll turn to other stars. They know the championship window is closing with Curry still on the roster. He’s still elite, but time’s ticking.

LeBron James even comes up as a possibility. If he declines his player option and hits free agency, maybe he’d team up with Curry for one last run at a ring.

Most likely, though, Golden State will look at trades instead of free agents to try to reload. Curry’s health isn’t what it used to be, and the Warriors know they have to make the most of whatever prime he’s got left.

Premier League Standings

WhatsApp Read More News